Thursday, 6 May 2010

Election Day


I am the first to admit I find politics a tad boring but I do always make the effort to vote. This year I decided a postal vote was the easiest option thereby avoiding last years mad dash down to the local school at 9.30pm as we had forgotten all about voting.

I can still clearly remember election day of 1997 - I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant and because I felt so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. So I stayed up to watch all the results coming in and seeing Tony Blair become Prime Minister. This year we won't be watching any of the tedious election night stuff on the TV as we have some good stuff on the Sky box to watch (and a good book!)

Work wise I am glad the election is all over bar the shouting - as we have had to take the phone calls for the local Electoral Registration Office - and oh boy have we had some right muppets on the phone today! Including one gentleman who was upset about members of the public who were standing outside their polling station discussing how they had voted - he said they could be influencing other voters who overheard their conversations - and he was going to call the police if they weren't told to move on. And he was also unhappy about the election officials who were drinking tea out of mugs. He wasn't bothered about their choice of beverage - but the fact that it was out of a mug not a cup and saucer!! I think some people really have too much time on their hands.

3 comments:

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Apart from the two guys running the polling station I was the only voter in the Institute at 5.15pm!!! I'm hoping they were all in before me!

helena said...

love the story coplaining about the mugs - people do complain about the strangest things

Sharon said...

Can't believe someone phoned to complain about the mugs!!! Some people!! Nowt as queer as folk right enough!!