Just before the end of the school Summer holidays we headed over to the West coast to go glamong for a couple of nights. The eldest decised it wasn't his cup of tea so he remained at home on kitten duties - although he was working as well.
The weather wasn't great - rain showers kept blowing in (although the weather was far better than at home where they had a months worth of rain in one day and parts of Moray flooded!) On the Monday we took the (very small) ferry over to the island of Kerrera and headed off around the coastal path on our bikes. It was a bit muddy - as I found out when I was pitched over the handlebars into a muddy puddle. Luckily Kerrara isn't a Hunter wellies and Barbour jacket sort of place so I wasn't unduly worried about what I looked like. Even on a dreich day the views were stunning.
We cycled to Gylen Castle - it was very small in castle terms and very isolated
Then we headed to the Kerrara Bunkhouse andTea Rooms. What a hidden gem. It is run by a chap who originally came from Glasgow ans staffed by students (of varying nationalities) who all stay in yurts round the back of the cottage. All the food is homemade using local produce - I had to wait for my roasted red pepper and lentil soup to finish cooking. I did so want a slice of rhubarb and custard cake - but I was full. We sat out in the garden and the local Chaffinches were very friendly. Don't you love all this mismatched china?
These were the facilites - basic - but very eco friendly. And a lovely view too!!
Our muddy bikes
Waiting for the ferry back to the mainland
2 comments:
Looks like a fabulous break away. I'm waiting to do some more travelling around Scotland, as it's beautiful!
aww brings back memories, we were there about 16 years ago, had some nettle soup....yum :-(
xx
Post a Comment