Saturday, 16 April 2011

Less Is More # 11

My heart sank when I saw this weeks challenge over on the Less Is More blog - to use acetate.

I have seen some beautiful cards made with this medium - but I think it is safe to say mine come nowhere near that standard.

Firstly I tried stamping onto the acetate with StazOn - most of the images were blurred or smudged so I soon gave up on that idea. Then I used some acetate as the front of my card using a border punch and ribbon to add some interest to it. A punched butterfly and some bling finished it off. The sentiment is stamped inside the card (too scared to try it again on the front) and is from Marion Emberson Designs.




























My second attempt is a teeny tiny card which I am afraid has some issues too. My bird placement needs some work - as does my hand cutting of the cage!


























All in all it is safe to say I won't be using much acetate in my card making (I did run some through the Cuttlebug with an embossing folder but wasn't keen on the crinkly effect I was left with) And finally no matter what I do my acetate never looks clean - there is dust and all sorts stuck to it - not a good look!!

30 comments:

Shazza said...

well I think they look great Jo x

~ Ali Robertson ~ said...

Wonderful creations they both look fabulous.

Ali x

Mandi said...

Aww Jo you are being far too critical of yourself! this is probably our most difficult week, it will be much easier next week..I promise!
All I can suggest I do with acetate is I keep paper under it right until the final step, it seems to do the trick of keeping it clean. Luckily I have a box of OHP acetate and its layered between thin paper, so I use that as is until the end.
Personally I love acetate embossed, /i did a few options before I decided on my design.
Have you tried printing on it? Im sure you would love that effect, its so trendy
Thansks
Less is More

Caroline Hallett said...

I am loving the little birdie - what a clever idea - although both cards are just lovely

Anonymous said...

These are bot lovely but I absolutely love the little birdcage one!! Just gorgeous! You are far too critical of yourself! xx

fatmonica said...

Love both the cards!

Jenny said...

Who needs to stamp on acetate when you can make lovely cards like you have :)
I too have trouble stamping on acetate because the stamp moves too easy doesn't it.
Jenny x

Lynne said...

Two gorgeous cards especially the birdcage one.
Lynne xxx

Maureen said...

Two lovely cards, I like the first one best, well done.
Maureen.......x

Bea said...

Great cards especially the 1st one - it is lovely

Jen said...

Both your cards are beautiful, know what you mean about acetate though, just getting to know it myself, maybe we won't be friends lol.
jenjoy x

Jan said...

Lovely cards xx Jan

TAM said...

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself - you've created two fabulous cards.

Susan said...

I think both cards are beautiful! Any you certainly got a better photo of your cards than I could manage!

Heather said...

lovely cards Jo especially the birdcage one. I think the bird is jumping for joy actually! xx

Monika said...

I don't love acetat too,
because it is really a *challenge*-;)

I think your cards are looking great.

Rosemary said...

your first card is so pretty!! and the little one is just adorable!

Chrissie said...

These are great Jo!
The first one looks really elegant in its simplicity!
You'll conquer the acetate aversion in no time!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Shirley said...

Beautiful cards, the little birdie is so sweet.

Dolly Daydreams said...

Both are fab , love their stunning simplicity, perfect.

Marie

Viv said...

Two great cards, the first one is my fav I think. Know what you mean about stamping on acetate too, not easy is it lol.Trying to get a decent photo isn't good either, you did well though :O) Viv xx

Carole Campanile said...

Both your cards are wonderful. The first one is very elegant.
And if there is a problem with the second one, I'm not seeing it. In fact I really love the acetate bird cage. If I was braver I'd go out and buy some acetate (used the last bit on my card) and make a dozen cards with bird cages just like yours. Love it.

TFS
Carole

Viv said...

Two fab creations! The birdy cage is sooo cute!

Diane said...

Lovely cards! xx

Michelle said...

I love both of your cards they are fab xx

Chris said...

Both are Beautiful cards..Chris xx

Suze Bain said...

They're lovely Jo, love the black & white colour scheme & the little birdie's sweet. x

Sharon said...

lovely cards Jo - you will have to come round and give me a tutorial on how to emboss!!

Aileen said...

Both are very good. I'm finding this all new too. x

Jose said...

Gorgeous card, and brilliant photograph
Jose