Thursday, 25 April 2013
Skywatch Friday
Another walk in whiskey country last weekend - a circular walk of 12 miles starting and finishing in Craigellachie.
This was the view from our picnic spot looking back over the town of Dufftown.
We didn't realise our walk took us to the Keith to Dufftown railway station which is an 11 mile journey between the two towns and is run by very enthusiastic volunteers (in fact the train driver was Mrs Neal who was one of the boys classroom assistants when they were at primary school!) There were a couple of trains in the station and one of the volunteers chatted to us about the railway and its rolling stock. I loved this train because it looks as though it has got a face - the yellow markings are called "speed whiskers!"
But the best bit was the tea rooms which were housed in an old railway carriage - and provided us with tea and scones for our onward journey.
My walking companions for the day.
A lone tree.
When we reached Aberlour we stopped for refreshments in The Mash Tun. I had a half of real ale but the pub is famous for its Glenfarclas Family Cask Collection - 46 single cask whiskies for each year from 1952 to 1997. they are available to buy by the shot and for my year of 1967 it was just of £65 for a shot!!
I seem to have a bit of a thing for taking photos of the signposts along our walks.
We kept a wide berth of this chap just outside Aberlour - but he looked so miserable he did make me laugh - but very obliging of him to stand by his sign for a photo!
We finished back at the car in Craigallachie which was parked close to Thomas Telfords bridge built between 1812 and 1814.
Pop over to the Skywatch blog to see more skies from around the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Nice SWF post!
This view I remember - not just from this place but near Aberdeen where we lived one year :)
I think Scotland`s landcape just like this.
I wish you a good sunny weekend ( we did not see much sunshine during that year in Scotland ;)
What a fun day outing! I love the tea service in railway cars keeps the theme going throughout the trip.
The "Pony Bites" photos is priceless!
Thanks for bringing skywatch along on this adventure.
Wow, what a beautiful walk. The scenery is gorgeous. And I love the cute horse, you just can not pet him or he will bite. The sign post is neat too. Thanks for sharing your walk. Happy Skywatching!
A great series of SWF photos. I enjoyed my 'walk' with you. Loved the pony and the sign. Happy SkyWatch Friday!
Looks like you had a wonderful walk!!! I love that old stone building!!!
That looks like a lovely trip! Train enthusiasts are always fun. Thanks for the virtual tour.
65 for a shot. Does it come with a massage or something?
Love your pics, including the pony.
Thanks for sharing.
Must get up your way soon it looks fantastic round there
Great photos but especially love the last one
Post a Comment