Monday, 18 February 2013

It's Monday. What Are You Reading?



Welcome to It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from!

The boys are off school today so no rushing around this morning - so I got up, made a cup of tea and went back to bed with my book.

I managed to finish The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. This was something a bit different to what  have been reading lately and I knew a book about a young girl dying of cancer wasn't going to be a light easy read. The main characters of Hazel and Augustus are so well written and brought the story to life - although you know from the outset there isn't going to be a happy ending. Well worth a read - but have a tissue ready.



"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once." Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love. 

I have now picked up Whatever It Takes by Adele Parks. I have read some mixed reviews and from what I can remember I wasn't overkeen on her last offering - but I will give it a go.



Eloise Hamilton is a Londoner born and bred, so it is a momentous day when she reluctantly agrees to uproot to Dartmouth, leaving behind her perfect world so her husband can finally live in his. There are compensations, however. Her mother-in-law Margaret will welcome her with open arms, and besides, she can still rely on best friend Sara to be her lifeline to London.

But both Margaret and Sara are facing their own difficulties, and thrust into unexpected turmoil, Eloise finds she is the one holding everything together for her loved ones - and by an ever-weakening thread. As her world implodes with the strain of being responsible for all around her, someone is bound to be overlooked. And the damage might be irreparable...

Pop over to The Book Journey and see what everyone else is reading today.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. I gave it a 5 and it will be one of my best reads. I basically fell in love with Augustus.

The Relentless Reader said...

TFIOS...sigh, what a book :) I hope you enjoy your current read and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I seriously feel like I'm losing out by having not read The Fault In Our Stars yet.
I hope you enjoy your pick this week :-)

Beautiful Day said...

I started A Fault in Our Stars, but it didn't grab me. It seemed like it was going to be another angsty teenage book. With so many good reviews though, and what looks to be poetic prose, I'm tempted to give it another go.:)

Unknown said...

The Fault in Our Stars received some great reviews and I hope I get a chance to read it :D Never really read Adele Parks but that one looks quite good - have a good reading week :D