Sunday, 19 June 2011

Chick Lit Reading Challenge # 14 & 15 and a debut author










Fern Britton is an icon of daytime telly (not something I ever see as I am at work at that time)and I did briefly see her recent foray into teatime broadcasting (where she was interviewing the delicious Professor Brian Cox who seemed to be squirming in his seat!)




This is her first novel and to be honest I wasn't expecting too much from it.

A warm, witty and wise debut about the ups and downs of life as a TV presenter
Christie Lynch’s life is about to change – for ever.
A journalist and single mother of two, she can’t believe her luck when she is spotted by a talent agent during an appearance on daytime TV show, Tart Talk.
Soon the nation’s sweetheart, Christie can’t help but love her new job and, for the first time in years, she can mend her leaking roof and buy her kids, Libby and Freddie, a few treats. But as her career soars, Christie’s forced to spend more and more time away from her kids and from Richard – the gorgeous single dad she recently met at the school gate.
Can Christie find a way to balance her role as a mother with her increasingly demanding job? And will she make it in the cut-throat world of TV? Whatever happens, Christie's going to give it all she's got…
Warm, witty and wise, New Beginnings is a behind-the-scenes look at the ups and downs in the life of a daytime TV presenter.



She is writing about a subject that she knows so well and to that end it was a light read - if a little predictable - you just know there is going to be a happy ending. But I did like the main character and wanted to continue reading so I could find out what happens to her. A great first novel and I hope she writes more.

My second book really made me laugh out loud - although I had my children in my 30's I think this will appeal to mothers of all ages.

Whatever your age, becoming a mum for the first time brings with it excitement, anxiety and numerous challenges. But how do you cope when, to top it all, you discover you are old enough to be the mother of everyone else in your NCT group? The story of one woman, one new baby, a slipped disc and rather too many wrinkles, "The Secret Diary of a New Mum (Aged 43 1/4)" follows the tale of a midlife mum as she tries to make the transition from experienced TV producer to utterly inexperienced parent. One in five babies is born to a mum over 35, and the number of over 40s giving birth has doubled. The first humorous narrative account of what it's really like to be a midlife mum - whether it's deftly side-stepping any questions about age and baby number two or weeping as younger counterparts ping back into their size ten jeans within thirty seconds of giving birth - this is the thoroughly entertaining, insightful and often hilarious account of what happens as you face up to menopause and new motherhood at the same time.




I might recommend this to my brothers girlfriend who has just had their first baby at the age of 41. All I can say is that I am glad it's not me - don't think I could cope with a baby now - I'll settle for the teenager!!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

What a cute cover!