Sunday, 22 August 2010

Isle of Lewis

A few more photos from our camping trip to the Isle of Lewis last month.

The Whalebone Arch at Bragar was erected by the former village postmaster Murdo Morrison and was formed from the jaw bones of a giant whale which beached itself and died in Bragar Bay after being harpooned by hunters. Read the story of the whalebone arch by Mary Macaulay, eldest daughter of Murdo Morrison here.
























Callum at Eoropie beach - a huge expanse of golden sand.


























Not sure who she is supposed to be - or why she is there at the side of the single track road to our campsite - but the boys had to have their photo taken with this young lady!!!!























Valtos Post Office!!
























This is the village next to our campsite. I am afraid we had a case of the Monty Pythons everytime we drove through - reciting lines from The Holy Grail and the Knights who say Ni!!!!













A view from the coastal path by our campsite.













The Lewis Chessmen (or Uig Chessmen) are a group of 78 chess pieces dating from the 12th century which were found in Uig bay in 1831. They are currently owned by the British Museum in London which has 67 of the pices with the remainder in the Royal Museum in Edingburgh. There is some controversy about where is the most appropriate place to display these pieces. Personally I believe they should be returned to the island as that is where they belong although they are coming home next year but just for a temporary exhibition. All that remain are these wooden sculptures which are dotted around the area. You can read more about them here and more about the campaign to to get the pieces returned to their rightful home here.























Mobile driving hazards we encountered on the island - slightky worryingly the sheep have a knack of lying down in the middle of the single track roads - usually on a blind bend!!
























A typical view of the island - much of it is quite bleak like this away from the coast.


3 comments:

Bobs said...

I have a little something on my blog for you to pick up! :-)

xxx

helena said...

each time you post I put Lewis higher up my list of places I want to visit. I adore the photo of the long sandy beach - it could be a painting

j said...

One thing I've noticed with the sheep is that on single track roads they will get out of your way.

On dual track roads they expect you to drive around them.