Sunday, 8 May 2011

Orange and carrot spice muffins

I have been asked to share the recipe for these muffins which Callum helped me bake yesterday.

The recipe comes from a very useful little book called (surprisingly enough!) Muffins - Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reinmer.

10oz plain flour
2 tspn baking powder
1/2 tspn bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
1/4 tspn each ground cloves and nutmeg - I didn't have the cloves so just put extra nutmeg
1 egg
3-4 oz caster sugar
Grated rind of 1 orange
Juice of the orange plus water to make up to 6 fl oz
4 oz grated carrot
3 fl oz vegetable oil or 3 oz melted butter
2-3 oz raisins, sultanas, currants.

Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb,salt and spices.
In separate bowl beat the egg and then stir in sugar, orange rind, juice plus water, carrot and oil/melted butter.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ones and stir until evenly mixed - adding dried fruit at then end. Mixture should look thick and lumpy.

Spoon into tins - sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake at 190-200C for 20-25 minutes.

I took a couple to rugby this morning to enjoy with my cup of tea while watching Callum run up and down the pitch. I also made a dozen banana muffins at the same time - but they have all been devoured by the locuts that reside in this house!!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Those look really yummy!