
I tried to read The Brightest Star In The Sky by Marian Keyes when it was first published in hardback and for some reason gave up on only a few chapters in. After some encouragement from an old friend and her rave review of the book I once again borrowed it from the library.
Synopsis
At 66, Star Street in Dublin, someone is watching over the lives of the people living in its flats. But no one is aware of it - yet...One of them is ready to take the plunge and fall in love; another is torn between two very different lovers. For some, secrets they want to stay buried will come to light and for others, the unveiling of those secrets will have tragic consequences. Fate is on its way to Star Street, bringing with it love and tragedy, friendship and heartbreak, and the power to change their lives in the most unexpected of ways...
The first thing that struck me was how similar it is to a couple of Cecelia Aherns books (most notably If You Could See Me Now)- with the "magical" character lurking around the periphery of the storyline. I have read a few Marian Keyes books before and this is quite different - whereas her books usually tend to be a bit light and fluffy this one had slightly darker undertones.
On the plus side I finished it this time - but it wasn't my favourite Keyes book.
2 comments:
yes I agree it was different from her others which I loved and my mum thought it was strange too. Took me a while to get into it.
x
Good review!
Post a Comment