Monday, 25 April 2022

Women Like Us by Amanda Prowse

 


‘Women Like Us’ is my life story so far! It’s a raw, but I hope, inspiring account of my life lived as someone who always felt as if I was the odd one out. I had so many ideas, but felt hemmed in by class, lack of opportunity and my own low self-esteem. I didn’t ever see how I could get on in life.

Growing up as a proper homebird and spending nights on the sofa with my wonderful, eccentric family, I felt as if the world was having a party to which I wasn’t invited, and it felt awful. The thought of writing a book felt like a dream, just out of reach, until aged forty-two I took the leap, and the rest is history.

Now, ten years later and with over thirty books published, I decided it was time to tackle my greatest challenge –  how I felt about myself, my overweight body and my ageing face. Having lived for years feeling that I wasn’t quite good enough, or that I didn’t quite fit, I finally learned the secrets of living a happy life and am sharing them with you now..


What did I think?

I simply love Amanda's books although I haven't read them all yet (so I still have titles to look forward to)

When I saw this book I knew I had to read it - but what I wasn't expecting was just how hard hitting and that it mirrored parts of my life too. Certain parts of this book could have been written about me. And that is a very strange feeling.

I want to thank Amanda for writing such a brutally honest book - we certainly get warts and all. But the book certainly isn't a pity party. It is an honest account of her life - the high points - the low points - and everything in between. It becomes apparent where she gets some of the ideas from for her books.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - I had to make myself read it slowly to make it last as long as possible.

This is a memoir about a real woman - written for real women.


No comments: