Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Secret Santa

Today at work we exchanged our secret Santa presents as we do every Christmas. We have a limit of £10 each and we swap tickets with our names on and some possible suggestions in case the person doing the buying is stuck for ideas. We had to exchange our gifts early as one of our workmates is off to Dubai in the morning - all right for some!

I struck gold as Karla bought me The Great British Book of Baking which is the cookbook which accompanied the TV series a Great British Bake Off. The show was presented by the cake making god that is Mary Berry and the silver fox himself Paul Hollywood. If you didn't need to see the show you won't have seen Ruth who has an amazing blog entitled The Pink Whisk - and it is well worth a look as she is currently blogging the 12 days of Christmas baking.

First from the book to try has to be the Fat Rascals - they look easy and delicious. And there is even a recipe for butteries which I might have to try. A buttery is a savoury Scottish bread roll. A buttery is similar to a flattened, round croissant but with a salty taste. Not particularly good for the waistline as they are traditionally made with lard!! They are also known as Aberdeen rolls and are a speciality of Aberdeen but they are common throughout the North East of Scotland.They were created in the 1880s, to provide the growing Aberdeen fishing industry a type of high-fat roll which would keep for longer periods at sea than conventional rolls.

5 comments:

helena said...

oh lovely memories of butteries - I grew up in Aberdeen and you can't get them in Edinburgh!

Shazza said...

oooh I must have this book!!! I loved the series and thank you for the link to Ryth's blog, she was amazing. Have fun baking - butteries for the next crop perhaps?
x

Erika said...

Sounds like a great plan Shazza. Looking forwards to quality controlling things Jo!

Linda said...

Mmmm, butteries! Helena is right - it's a buttery desert down here. I have such fond memories of the heaped trays of butteries at breakfast time in my hall of residence at Aberdeen university.

Quite time-consuming to bake tho? Let us know how you get on.

Unknown said...

I'm getting this one for Christmas and can't wait.