
Welcome to the Lets Eat Blog Hop and you should have arrived here from Beverley over in North Carolina.
My chosen recipe is from my childhood growing up in very rural Radnorshire (in Mid Wales - now known as Powys but I prefer the original name.)
Welsh Cakes (picau ar y maen) are a traditional Welsh tea time treat made from flour, butter or lard, eggs, sugar and currants - not particularly healthy but where would the fun be if they were good for you?
I can remember my Mum making these and finally this year she taught me how to make them when we went down to Wales for a visit. But I'm afraid that whenever I make them in this house they don't stick around for long - but then again I am married to a Welshman so I shouldn't be surprised!
Here is the list of ingredients:
225g/8oz self-raising flour, sieved
110g/4oz salted butter
1 egg
handful of sultanas
milk, if needed
85g/3oz caster sugar
extra butter, for greasing
And the method:
Rub the fat into the sieved flour to make breadcrumbs as if you were making pastry. Add the sugar, dried fruit and then the egg. Mix to combine, then form a ball of dough, using a splash of milk if needed.
Roll out the pastry until it is a 5mm/¼in thick on a floured surface and cut into rounds with a 7.5-10cm/3-4in fluted cutter. I love mt set of pastry cutters from Lakeland - so much easier to keep clean that the old metal ones and they come in their own little case.
Ideally you now need a heavy iron griddle but I use a flat bottomed frying pan. Rub it with butter and wipe the excess away. Put it on to a direct heat and wait until it heats up, place the Welsh cakes on the griddle, turning once. They need about 2-3 minutes each side. Each side needs to be caramel brown before turning. I always find I manage to burn the first few - but luckily has a husband who seems to like burnt offerings so they never go to waste!
Remove from the pan and if you want to you can dust with caster sugar while they are still warm.
They are delicious served warm - but have to be spread with butter and you have to eat them with a cup of tea.
(PS - thought I would show you the "burnt offerings" - in my defence I always find it hard to get the pan at the right heat to begin with.)
Now you should pop over and visit Furrypig (it sounds rude using that name but I'm afraid I don't know your real one!!)
22 comments:
When you first started talking about these cakes I was thinking they sounded similar to a scone ... oh my goodness, how yummy would these be! I love the idea of the sugar sprinkled over them while they are warm - boy, I'm going to be hungry for the rest of the hop and it has only just started!
Hi Jo I love that recipe and think it will be a brilliant one to try as I have all the ingredients in the cupboard plus it sounds fairly easy (I am a simple kinda gal!) My real name is Ruth!! LOL xxx
Ooh! I love these, my friend used to make them for us on St. Davids day, as part of her wonderful coffee morning. Now I can make my own, thank you :) Do you make Bara Brith too ?
I haven't eaten Welsh cakes in ages...thanks for reminding me how delicious they are...will definately have a go.
OMGosh! My hubby will love these...actually so will the kids and I :)
Hi Jo. I too am married to a welshman. His Mum makes these and they are delicious but I hadn't considered making them myself. This would be a lovely treat on St David's day for my husband. Thaks for sharing such a lovely Welsh recipe with us.
Oooo, thank you for the recipe, my nan used to make us these (minus the currants) regularly when we'd visit her, then we'd pour syrup over them while they were still warm. They are one of my fav puds but I never knew what they were called so couldnt look up the recipe after she passed on. Guess what I'll be making this week, lol.
I've only had these in a cafe in Wales - great to get the recipe. Love those Lakeland cutters.
These look fantastic, and I know they won't last long at this house!
I just woke up and decided to check to make sure my post had gone as scheduled (it went live at 5am here) so have not had breakfast. These sound yummy, I may have to take a short stop to eat before finishing the hop :)
I thought the same as Amy, like a scone! sounds yummy and i will be trying these out for sure! (and don't worry, my first batch of pikelets are always on the well cooked side too!)
OMG I want to cook these right now! I'd never thought to look the recipe for these up, as I love them from bakeries in Wales but I'm not too impressed with the ones you can buy at the supermarket in the South of England - too sugary. Now I can make my own, yay! Thanks for sharing! xx
These look delicious! Anxious to make them - I'll make them while my kids are at school to ensure I get one :)
With a Welsh Dad in our house, we often had Welsh cakes for tea on a Saturday night - thanks for bringing back that happy memory for me and reminding me to pass on the recipe to my own kids :)
Those sound yummy and fairly easy! After trying your gingerbread last year and loving it I will definitely try this!
I think even I can manage these, and both DH & DS will be willing taste-testers, I'm sure!
These look perfect for Sunday night's tea. How lucky I have all the necessary ingredients in my cupboards!
Yum. Yum. YUM! I have never had anything like this but do plan on giving them a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :o)
Oh, yum - I love Welsh cakes but I've never tried making my own, so I'm thrilled to have this recipe, thank you! xx
These look delicious. My father was Welsh but we never made any, just bought them. Thank you for such a lovely description.
These look fabulous! We spent a wonderful week in northwest Wales about nine yrs ago and ate very well.
Rinda
yummy!!! these are lovely! thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment